- Category: Breaking News
- Published: Monday, 29 March 2021 18:04
Disney+ announced the cast list for the upcoming STAR WARS series, Obi-Wan Kenobi which starts production in April. The news says a lot about the direction the new Star Wars series will take. Hayden Christensen will return in the role of Darth Vader, and Joel Egerton and Bonnie Piesse will reprise their role as Uncle Owen and Aunt Bera. Given this casting news and another detail in the plot, can we assume that a young Luke Skywalker will be part of the show?
In addition to the exciting news that STAR WARS prequel actors are making a return, the other cast members were announced with Kumail Nanjiani, Homeland's Rupert Friend, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Game of Thrones' Indira Varma, THE FAST AND FURIOUS'' Sung King, Moses Ingram, Simone Kessell and UNCUT GEMS director/actor Benny Safdie. The Mandalorian director Deborah Chow will be directing the episodes.
So what does the announcement reveal about the plot? The studio had previously announced that the events in Obi-Wan Kenobi take place ten years after STAR WARS: REVENGE OF THE SITH when Anakin Skywalker completed his transformation into the evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.
With Joel Egerton and Bonnie Piesse joining the Disney+ series, then it's only obvious that a 10-year-old Luke Skywalker be in the picture. From what we know about old Ben Kenobi from the original films, he spent his days as a hermit living on Tatooine watching Luke from a distance. It begs the question whether the action will all take place on Tatooine. And how will Darth Vader fit in given that he was told his children were dead along with his wife Padmé.
Frankly who cares as long as Darth Vader is in this new show but will we hear James Earl Jones' voice and how will Hayden appear? Without the helmet, perhaps?
No doubt the casting news sheds so much more light on the Obi-Wan Kenobi series that leaves us salivating. Disney+ did not announce the projected date for the premiere.
See the full press release below.
NEW LUCASFILM SPECIAL EVENT SERIES “OBI-WAN KENOBI” TO BEGIN PRODUCTION
Cast Announced for Original Series Coming Exclusively to Disney+
“Obi-Wan Kenobi,” the new Disney+ special event series starring Ewan McGregor as the iconic Jedi Master, will begin shooting in April. The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.
“Obi-Wan Kenobi” is directed by Deborah Chow, director of two critically acclaimed episodes of “The Mandalorian,” Season 1.
The series also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader.
Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie.
“Obi-Wan Kenobi” is executive-produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Deborah Chow, Ewan McGregor and writer Joby Harold. The casting director is Carmen Cuba.
“Obi-Wan Kenobi” will be available exclusively on Disney+.