- Category: Coming Soon
- Published: Thursday, 16 October 2008 17:27
STAX RECORDS TO RELEASE SOUNDTRACK TO
SOUL MEN ON NOVEMBER 4TH
Soundtrack Features Music from Isaac Hayes, Anthony Hamilton, John Legend, Sharon Jones and the DapKings, and more
Upcoming Movie Stars Samuel L. Jackson and Bernie Mac and Includes a Cameo by Music Icon Isaac Hayes
Authentic soul music and superstar musical performances are the consistent theme and backdrop for the side-splitting comedy, Soul Men, starring entertainment icons Bernie Mac, who passed away on August 9, and award-winning actor Samuel L. Jackson. The film also includes a cameo appearance by Isaac Hayes who died the day after Mac in unrelated circumstances. Soul Men, directed by Malcolm D. Lee (The Best Man, Undercover Brother, Roll, Bounce) will be released November 7, 2008 nationwide (Dimension Films/MGM) and the soundtrack will be available November 4th on legendary label Stax Records.
In his last movie performance, popular comedian Mac, Jackson and Grammy winner John Legend (who makes a special appearance in the movie) play members of a fictitious group, The Real Deal; when Marcus Hooks (Legend) leaves to pursue a successful solo career, Floyd Henderson (Bernie Mac) and Louis Hinds (Jackson) attempt to continue with dismal results. The death of Marcus sparks a reunion between the two former soul singers who haven't spoken in twenty years; Soul Men (which also stars Sean Hayes, Jennifer Coolidge and Sharon Leal, who plays Jackson's daughter) follows the hilarious escapades of the two former partners as they finally come back together for Marcus' funeral at New York's Apollo Theater.
Key cuts on the soundtrack include an infectious cover of the James & Bobby Purify 1966 hypnotic classic, "I'm Your Puppet" by superstar John Legend with Mac and Jackson with production by Raymond Jones (whose credits include Patti LaBelle, Chic and Stephanie Mills); "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In)," a new take on a rare tune originally cut by Kenny Rogers and The First Edition, reinterpreted by the inimitable Sharon Jones and produced by Dap Kings' member Bosco Mann; and rousing opening cut of Frank Fitzpatrick's "Soul Music," performed by Anthony Hamilton and The Bo-Keys, produced by group member Scott Bomar and recorded at Willie Mitchell's Royal Studios in Memphis.
1. Soul Music - Anthony Hamilton (2:58)
2. I'm Your Puppet - John Legend, Bernie Mac & Samuel L. Jackson (4:05)
3. Private Number - Chris Pierce & Leela James (3:08)
4. Water - Meshell Ndegeocello (3:14)
5. Never Can Say Goodbye - Isaac Hayes (5:16)
6. Boogie Ain't Nuttin' (But Gettin' Down) - Bernie Mac & Samuel L. Jackson (4:10)
7. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings (2:59)
8. Memphis Train - Ryan Shaw (2:53)
9. Comfort Me - Sharon Leal (2:32)
10. You Don't Know What You Mean (to a Lover Like Me) - The Sugarman 3 featuring Lee Fields (3:30)
11. I've Never Found a Girl (To Love Me Like You Do) - Eddie Floyd (2:44)
12. Do Your Thing - Bernie Mac, Samuel L. Jackson & Sharon Leal (13:54)
Soul Men, the movie: www.soulmen-movie.com.