Laurence Fishburne Narrates Nat Geo's 'Year Million' Documentary Series
- Category: Television
- Published: Monday, 01 May 2017 11:33
- Written by Lupe R Haas
On May 15, Nat Geo’s new series YEAR MILLION begins airing its new six-part documentary-drama series narrated by Laurence Fishburne which explores what it will be like to be human approximately one million years into the future. Depending on your perspective, the future can be thrilling… it also can be frightening. Imagine if the robots we create will one day outsmart us and take over. Or imagine a world where mortality is no longer a given. What if Earth is no longer our home?
Today’s brightest futurists, scientists, scholars and notable science fiction writers – including Ray Kurzweil, Peter Diamandis, Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Mira, David Byrne and more – guide viewers through the very latest advances in technology, ideas and innovations that likely will power the evolution of our species.
YEAR MILLION Premieres Monday, May 15, at 9/8c
From the moment our ancestors smashed two rocks together to forge the first tool, technology and imagination have shaped our humanity and continues to define who we can become. What was once conceived as science fiction is now anchored in reality. Now, YEAR MILLION, a new six-part documentary-drama series from National Geographic, explores what it will be like to be human one million years into the future. Today’s brightest futurists, scientists, scholars and notable science fiction writers guide viewers through the very latest advances in technology, ideas and innovations that likely will power the evolution of our species. Through illustrative, dramatic storytelling, YEAR MILLION paints a version of humanity’s fate through the lens of a typical futuristic American family, which includes a daughter who is android. The series propels us into an odyssey of unfathomable choices humans will face while questioning the kind of lives we’ll live and the people we’ll become a million years from now. YEAR MILLION imagines a future when mortality becomes a thing of the past; man merges with machine; intelligence is limitless; and the human species becomes interplanetary.
The series predicts how every aspect of technology may affect our lives for better or worse and ponders the following questions:
• How will we adjust to longer lifespans, and what does it mean to live forever?
• How will we deal with the realities of advance Artificial Intelligence, giving machines the ability to think analytically?
• Will our unquenchable thirst for human exploration transform us into an interplanetary species living across multiple universes?
• How will progress in Virtual Reality shape our response to living outside our bodies?
• Will we harness the wisdom of a Hive Mind, a unified consciousness or intelligence where we lose our individuality and share resources among a collective group?